THIS MATERIAL IS A MARKETING COMMUNICATION.
Preparing for Take-Off: 2023 Emerging Markets Outlook
Looking into 2023, we see pockets of significant upside potential within Emerging Market (EM) equities. Broadly speaking, we see three key positive catalysts which could translate into a significant uptake for EM allocations:
- The reopening of China’s economy: The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) began signalling changes to its zero-Covid Policy in November and continued to loosen controls through the first half of December. We see this as a powerful catalyst for domestic Chinese cyclicals.
- A turn in US economic data translating into a weaker US dollar (USD): We are keeping a close eye on US unemployment, as any signal of weakness could translate into near term softness in wages and service inflation. This could allow the US Federal Reserve (Fed) to signal forthcoming adjustments to its monetary policy.
- Incremental GDP growth in favour of EM: A China reopening, rates coming down in Latin America, the Gulf Cooperation Council continuing its IPO surge, all while the US hikes rates into a potential recession should create a powerful backdrop for EM outperformance.
- Asia ex-Japan: While global growth will likely slow in 2023, Asia looks to be a positive counterweight. This is especially true for China, where we see growth accelerating as authorities soften the zero-Covid policy and introduce easing property measures. For the rest of Asia ex-China, although headwinds from external demand still exist, the easing of financial conditions in 2023 should extend the runway for growth in domestic demand, which we expect will drive Asia’s outperformance.
- Latin America: As a region, Latin America presents an interesting market landscape, benefiting from higher energy prices and oil exports. If we see a strong recovery in Chinese GDP growth, Latin American countries should be key beneficiaries from a price rebound in materials. Perhaps most importantly, central banks in the region have been prudent in raising interest rates to fight inflation well ahead of the Fed. This has created a strong interest rate differential, which has and should continue to protect currencies through global market volatility.
- Eastern Europe, Middle East & Africa (EEMEA): The outlook in 2023 for EEMEA remains divided. The Middle East and North African countries stand to benefit from elevated oil prices, their USD pegs, and continued social reforms. South Africa’s performance is likely tied to both China’s reopening as well as commodity prices. We remain cautious on Turkey due to the unorthodox monetary policy in the face of rampant inflation. Greece should be able to better-manage the uncertainty present in the Eurozone due to the continued recovery in the tourism industry and improving domestic fundamentals. Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungary remain the most affected by weakness in Western Europe and the war in Ukraine.
January 12, 2023
Staying Ahead with Mirae Asset’s Latest Insights
Disclaimer & Information for Investors
No distribution, solicitation or advice: This document is provided for information and illustrative purposes and is intended for your use only. It is not a solicitation, offer or recommendation to buy or sell any security or other financial instrument. The information contained in this document has been provided as a general market commentary only and does not constitute any form of regulated financial advice, legal, tax or other regulated service.
The views and information discussed or referred in this document are as of the date of publication. Certain of the statements contained in this document are statements of future expectations and other forward-looking statements. Views, opinions and estimates may change without notice and are based on a number of assumptions which may or may not eventuate or prove to be accurate. Actual results, performance or events may differ materially from those in such statements. In addition, the opinions expressed may differ from those of other Mirae Asset Global Investments’ investment professionals.
Investment involves risk: Past performance is not indicative of future performance. It cannot be guaranteed that the performance of the Fund will generate a return and there may be circumstances where no return is generated or the amount invested is lost. It may not be suitable for persons unfamiliar with the underlying securities or who are unwilling or unable to bear the risk of loss and ownership of such investment. Before making any investment decision, investors should read the Prospectus for details and the risk factors. Investors should ensure they fully understand the risks associated with the Fund and should also consider their own investment objective and risk tolerance level. Investors are advised to seek independent professional advice before making any investment.
Sources: Information and opinions presented in this document have been obtained or derived from sources which in the opinion of Mirae Asset Global Investments (“MAGI”) are reliable, but we make no representation as to their accuracy or completeness. We accept no liability for a loss arising from the use of this document.
Products, services and information may not be available in your jurisdiction and may be offered by affiliates, subsidiaries and/or distributors of MAGI as stipulated by local laws and regulations. Please consult with your professional adviser for further information on the availability of products and services within your jurisdiction. This document is issued by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited and has not been reviewed by the Securities and Futures Commission.
Information for EU investors pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2019/1156: This document is a marketing communication and is intended for Professional Investors only. A Prospectus is available for the Mirae Asset Global Discovery Fund (the “Company”) a société d'investissement à capital variable (SICAV) domiciled in Luxembourg structured as an umbrella with a number of sub-funds. Key Investor Information Documents (“KIIDs”) are available for each share class of each of the sub-funds of the Company.
The Company’s Prospectus and the KIIDs can be obtained from www.am.miraeasset.eu/fund-literature . The Prospectus is available in English, French, German, and Danish, while the KIIDs are available in one of the official languages of each of the EU Member States into which each sub-fund has been notified for marketing under the Directive 2009/65/EC (the “UCITS Directive”). Please refer to the Prospectus and the KIID before making any final investment decisions.
A summary of investor rights is available in English from www.am.miraeasset.eu/investor-rights-summary/.
The sub-funds of the Company are currently notified for marketing into a number of EU Member States under the UCITS Directive. FundRock Management Company can terminate such notifications for any share class and/or sub-fund of the Company at any time using the process contained in Article 93a of the UCITS Directive.
Hong Kong: It is intended is for Hong Kong investors. Before making any investment decision to invest in the Fund, Investors should read the Fund’s Prospectus and the information for Hong Kong investors (of applicable) of the Fund for details and the risk factors. The individual and Mirae Asset Global Investments (Hong Kong) Limited may hold the individual securities mentioned. This document is issued by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited and has not been reviewed by the Securities and Futures Commission.
Singapore: It is not intended for general public distribution. The investment is designed for Institutional investors and/or Accredited Investors as defined under the Securities and Futures Act of Singapore. This document is issued by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited and has not been reviewed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Please consult with your professional adviser for further information on the availability of products and services within your jurisdiction.
Australia: The information contained in this document is provided by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited (“MAGIHK”), which is exempted from the requirement to hold an Australian financial services license under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (Corporations Act) pursuant to ASIC Class Order 03/1103 (Class Order) in respect of the financial services it provides to wholesale clients (as defined in the Corporations Act) in Australia. MAGIHK is regulated by the Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong under Hong Kong laws, which differ from Australian laws. Pursuant to the Class Order, this document and any information regarding MAGIHK and its products is strictly provided to and intended for Australian wholesale clients only. The contents of this document is prepared by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited and has not been reviewed by the Australian Investments & Securities Commission.
Swiss investors: This document is intended for Professional Investors only. This is an advertising document. The Swiss Representative is 1741 Fund Solutions AG, Burggraben 16, CH-9000 St. Gallen. The Swiss Paying Agent is Tellco AG, Bahnhofstrasse 4, CH-6431 Schwyz. The Prospectus and the Supplements of the Funds, the KIIDs, the Memorandum and Articles of Association as well as the annual and interim reports of the Company are available free of charge from the Swiss Representative.
UK investors: This document is intended for Professional Investors only. The Company is a Luxembourg registered UCITS, recognised in the UK under section 264 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. Compensation from the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme will not be available in respect of the Fund. The taxation position affecting UK investors is outlined in the Prospectus. This document has been approved for issue in the United Kingdom by Mirae Asset Global Investments (UK) Ltd, a company incorporated in England & Wales with registered number 06044802, and having its registered office at 4th Floor, 4-6 Royal Exchange Buildings, London EC3V 3NL, United Kingdom. Mirae Asset Global Investments (UK) Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority with firm reference number 467535.
Copyright 2023. All rights reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced in any form, or referred to in any other publication, without express written permission of Mirae Asset Global Investments (Hong Kong) Limited.