THIS MATERIAL IS A MARKETING COMMUNICATION.
ESG Monthly (January 2022)
This month’s highlights:
Nuclear and gas included in EU Taxonomy; China’s steel carbon reduction targets delayed; Singapore revises carbon tax rates; Mirae Asset’s ESG Insights on eco-conscious young consumers.
Commentary on ESG news and developments:
- In the European Union (EU), the EU Commission officially included nuclear and gas power as part of the EU Taxonomy despite controversial opinions amongst European countries (Euractiv, February 2022).
- In the EU, the EU securities regulator European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) launched a consultation to review the landscape and market characteristics of ESG rating providers operating in the EU (ESMA, January 2022).
- In the World Economic Forum (WEF)’s 2022 Global Risks Report, climate action failure, extreme weather events, and biodiversity loss and ecosystem collapse came top three within the top 10 global risks ranked by severity for the next 10 years (WEF, January 2022).
In Asian Pacific markets…
- In China, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) and two other regulators pushed back the carbon peaking deadline for the steel industry from 2025 to 2030 (Caixin, February 2022).
- In China, the Beijing Winter Olympics – which China had said would run solely on green electricity in effort to make the event carbon neutral – has accelerated the development of renewable energy infrastructure in the co-host city Zhangjiakou (Carbon Brief, February 2022).
- In Singapore, the Singapore government announced plans to revise its carbon tax rates for 2024 and will announce revisions in its 2022 Budget in mid-February (Straits Times, January 2022).
- In India, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) released a public consultation paper on regulating ESG rating providers in order to address risks of greenwashing and to reduce ambiguity due to the lack of clear and consistent methodologies (SEBI, January 2022).
ESG Insights from Mirae Asset:
Understanding young consumers – sharing insights from a survey conducted by Credit Suisse on 10,000 consumers across 10 developed and emerging countries…
- Generation Z and millennials currently account for 54% of the global population, and when it comes to their contribution to consumer spending, their share is expected to rise from 48% in 2020 to 68% by 2040.
- A recent market survey found 80% of young consumers prioritise sustainable products in their purchases as much as possible.
- In developing countries like China and India: more than 15% of respondents said that they buy sustainable products for all their purchases. Particularly for passenger cars, more than half of young consumer respondents in China say they already own electric or hybrid electric cars).
- In developed countries like France, Germany and the USA: survey responses suggest young consumers seem generally less engaged with the topic of sustainability, showing relatively less willingness to pay for sustainable products or intent to change their personal lifestyles compared to those in developing countries.
Source: Credit Suisse Research, Mirae Asset analysis, January 2022
March 09, 2022
Staying Ahead with Mirae Asset’s Latest Insights
Disclaimer & Information for Investors
No distribution, solicitation or advice: This document is provided for information and illustrative purposes and is intended for your use only. It is not a solicitation, offer or recommendation to buy or sell any security or other financial instrument. The information contained in this document has been provided as a general market commentary only and does not constitute any form of regulated financial advice, legal, tax or other regulated service.
The views and information discussed or referred in this document are as of the date of publication. Certain of the statements contained in this document are statements of future expectations and other forward-looking statements. Views, opinions and estimates may change without notice and are based on a number of assumptions which may or may not eventuate or prove to be accurate. Actual results, performance or events may differ materially from those in such statements. In addition, the opinions expressed may differ from those of other Mirae Asset Global Investments’ investment professionals.
Investment involves risk: Past performance is not indicative of future performance. It cannot be guaranteed that the performance of the Fund will generate a return and there may be circumstances where no return is generated or the amount invested is lost. It may not be suitable for persons unfamiliar with the underlying securities or who are unwilling or unable to bear the risk of loss and ownership of such investment. Before making any investment decision, investors should read the Prospectus for details and the risk factors. Investors should ensure they fully understand the risks associated with the Fund and should also consider their own investment objective and risk tolerance level. Investors are advised to seek independent professional advice before making any investment.
Sources: Information and opinions presented in this document have been obtained or derived from sources which in the opinion of Mirae Asset Global Investments (“MAGI”) are reliable, but we make no representation as to their accuracy or completeness. We accept no liability for a loss arising from the use of this document.
Products, services and information may not be available in your jurisdiction and may be offered by affiliates, subsidiaries and/or distributors of MAGI as stipulated by local laws and regulations. Please consult with your professional adviser for further information on the availability of products and services within your jurisdiction. This document is issued by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited and has not been reviewed by the Securities and Futures Commission.
Information for EU investors pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2019/1156: This document is a marketing communication and is intended for Professional Investors only. A Prospectus is available for the Mirae Asset Global Discovery Fund (the “Company”) a société d'investissement à capital variable (SICAV) domiciled in Luxembourg structured as an umbrella with a number of sub-funds. Key Investor Information Documents (“KIIDs”) are available for each share class of each of the sub-funds of the Company.
The Company’s Prospectus and the KIIDs can be obtained from www.am.miraeasset.eu/fund-literature . The Prospectus is available in English, French, German, and Danish, while the KIIDs are available in one of the official languages of each of the EU Member States into which each sub-fund has been notified for marketing under the Directive 2009/65/EC (the “UCITS Directive”). Please refer to the Prospectus and the KIID before making any final investment decisions.
A summary of investor rights is available in English from www.am.miraeasset.eu/investor-rights-summary/.
The sub-funds of the Company are currently notified for marketing into a number of EU Member States under the UCITS Directive. FundRock Management Company can terminate such notifications for any share class and/or sub-fund of the Company at any time using the process contained in Article 93a of the UCITS Directive.
Hong Kong: It is intended is for Hong Kong investors. Before making any investment decision to invest in the Fund, Investors should read the Fund’s Prospectus and the information for Hong Kong investors (of applicable) of the Fund for details and the risk factors. The individual and Mirae Asset Global Investments (Hong Kong) Limited may hold the individual securities mentioned. This document is issued by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited and has not been reviewed by the Securities and Futures Commission.
Singapore: It is not intended for general public distribution. The investment is designed for Institutional investors and/or Accredited Investors as defined under the Securities and Futures Act of Singapore. This document is issued by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited and has not been reviewed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Please consult with your professional adviser for further information on the availability of products and services within your jurisdiction.
Australia: The information contained in this document is provided by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited (“MAGIHK”), which is exempted from the requirement to hold an Australian financial services license under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (Corporations Act) pursuant to ASIC Class Order 03/1103 (Class Order) in respect of the financial services it provides to wholesale clients (as defined in the Corporations Act) in Australia. MAGIHK is regulated by the Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong under Hong Kong laws, which differ from Australian laws. Pursuant to the Class Order, this document and any information regarding MAGIHK and its products is strictly provided to and intended for Australian wholesale clients only. The contents of this document is prepared by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited and has not been reviewed by the Australian Investments & Securities Commission.
Swiss investors: This document is intended for Professional Investors only. This is an advertising document. The Swiss Representative is 1741 Fund Solutions AG, Burggraben 16, CH-9000 St. Gallen. The Swiss Paying Agent is Tellco AG, Bahnhofstrasse 4, CH-6431 Schwyz. The Prospectus and the Supplements of the Funds, the KIIDs, the Memorandum and Articles of Association as well as the annual and interim reports of the Company are available free of charge from the Swiss Representative.
UK investors: This document is intended for Professional Investors only. The Company is a Luxembourg registered UCITS, recognised in the UK under section 264 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. Compensation from the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme will not be available in respect of the Fund. The taxation position affecting UK investors is outlined in the Prospectus. This document has been approved for issue in the United Kingdom by Mirae Asset Global Investments (UK) Ltd, a company incorporated in England & Wales with registered number 06044802, and having its registered office at 4th Floor, 4-6 Royal Exchange Buildings, London EC3V 3NL, United Kingdom. Mirae Asset Global Investments (UK) Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority with firm reference number 467535.
Copyright 2023. All rights reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced in any form, or referred to in any other publication, without express written permission of Mirae Asset Global Investments (Hong Kong) Limited.